Center Township (Range 3, Township 14), of the government surveys, received the name of "Centre" in 1803, soon after the organization of the county, from its occupying a central position. Its proportions remain as surveyed, and the boundary townships are:
on the north, Salem; on the east, Elk Run; on the south, Wayne and Franklin; and on the west, Hanover. Centre township is hilly, the northern part of the township is more fertile than the southern. The middle fork of Beaver Creek enters the township from Salem township flows on a southern course. Traversing the entire length of the township from north to south near the west line is Cold Run and flow into Beaver Creek as it leaves the township. Lisbon Village, New Lisbon Village, as it was formerly called, is located in Centre Township, and is the seat of justice for Columbiana County. On the north bank of Middle Beaver Creek, Lisbon was founded soon after 1800. The southeast quarter of section 14 was purchased by Lewis Kinney from the government in about 1802. On Feb. 16, 1803, he laid out Lisbon. The village was incorporated under a special act of legislature on Feb. 7, 1825. The inhabitants are principally from Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland, and the religions are mainly Presbyterian and German Lutheran. In 1803, the population was 543. The 2020 population according to the census bureau was 5793.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.